Sunday, November 13, 2005

It's about time

I recenly came across a letter to the editor in the Fresno Bee. Here is a link so you can learn of the situation.

Cut the canned music

All I have to say is, "recently?" Recently? No this has been happening since my first year in the band. When you watch a college football game on TV, and the home team scores, is there an ear piercing Air Raid horn. No. You hear the touchdown scoring song. In case you don't know, it's a different song than the Fight Song. But no, the power that be in Fresno believe the football game to be like a Hockey game. Absolutely annoying. I had my schooling payed for by the Music Department so obviously someone thought listening to me was enjoyable. On the field, all my friends, albeit intoxicated, screamed at me until I acknowledged them. The student section goes wild after the trombone section playes "Bonefare." Moody even knows the base drum part. But are they allowed to parade through the stands during the game like they have been for the past 13 years? No, this year it has become a distraction and is not allowed. Someone needs to be reminded that this is supposed to be a college atmosphere and an emphasis should be placed on the athletes, performers, and students, and not become the typical sporting event with corporate sponsors and a loud radio system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home